Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Doral Composting Project

Doral has a composting project that are in the early stages of testing. They tested it at the Hotel Sofital last month and have signed up FIU, UM, and the Breakers as the next test sites. They have an EPA grant but are looking for other possible sources of funding. Miami Dade College was also suggested as a possible site for testing this new 14-day composting idea. Grants are also a possible source of future funding, and have been suggested.

There are no local composting sources of information or funding known. Anybody out there able to shed some light on this? Ideas? Comments?

I have a compost heap that i have used for the past couple years but it takes considerably longer for my leaves, weeds, grass leftovers, etc. to break down, probably months. I have put probably 200 worms in my composter over the past year or so but dont see them much anymore. I assume they are down in the middle, and will only be seen when i turn it over. There are worm farms somewhere in dade that breed the special worms that compost best. I just learned that at a seminar on Miami Beach.

No comments: