Sunday, July 5, 2009

Your Idle Computer Can Save Lives

Your Idle Computer Can Save Lives
Download some software and fight cancer.
By Josh Peterson
Los Angeles, CA, USA | Sun Jun 28 14:00:00 EDT 2009

I don't like keeping my computer on all day. I use my power-saving options when I'm away from it for short periods and turn it off every time I leave the house. Unfortunately, many people keep their computers idling for hours every day. This could be due to forgetfulness, laziness or the myth that it takes more energy to turn the computer on than it does to leave it on. However, if you keep your computer running for any reason, you can put that energy to good use.

By going to Docking Home you can install a free piece of software called BOINC. Once you've downloaded the application, you can volunteer your computer's idle time to find cures for diseases such as HIV, breast cancer, Parkinson's, and arthritis. The program uses your computers resources while it is idling to perform scientific calculations.

Right now, there are 6,000 BOINC volunteers accomplishing 30,000 tasks every day. These calculations are aiding in the creation of new medicines that will, hopefully, eradicate diseases. Researchers simulate molecular models and their infinite combinations to discover these drugs. This takes a long time, and it takes a lot of computer brain power.

Fight Phantom Power Loss

Of course, it's important to reiterate the wastefulness of leaving a computer, or any electronic device, plugged in, let alone switched on all the time. Phantom energy loss is responsible for a huge amount of wasted electricity and resources. If you have a choice: turn your electronics, including the computer, off, and use a power strip to break the connection to the wall outlet.

However, if you are on and off the computer and need it idle for an hour or less at a time, consider doing something charitable. Really, you don't have to do anything at all. No mailing addresses or credit card numbers, just downloading software. And if your computer is on anyway, then let that energy go to saving lives. That's better than letting it go completely to waste.

I have been a member of the BOINC community for the past four years. The two research programs I have chosen are cancer research and climate analysis. I leave it on in the background while I am answering emails, etc. and all night while I am sleeping. The cost of doing this is my contribution to the cause. I also tell my friends about it. My only qualm is that I receive no feedback about how the project is doing, what breakthroughs have been accomplished, or even what progress is being made. I am making this little gesture in an altruistic spirit, and would hate to find out somewhere down the line that Big Pharma has used my little contribution for THEIR purposes.

No comments: